Know Your User Accounts
Windows 8 User Accounts can be a challenge when first getting started. The following tips will help. Decide which account type you need; local or Microsoft Online, check the OneDrive Sync Setting on your MS Account, finally make a backup.
Local Account vs. Microsoft Online Account
A good rule to follow is first create a local user account with administrator rights, then sign on to change the account to a Microsoft account. This way you can choose when you’re online with your Microsoft account.
OneDrive Sync Settings
If you’re using a Microsoft account sign on be sure to review your OneDrive sync settings. Default setting may be backing up more than you are aware of. Check the Other Setting section for web browser and passwords. Your online history, passwords and such could be viewed by others, such as government officials. These are important privacy matters to consider. Just do a search for PC Setting / OneDrive / Sync settings to review.
User Account Backup
Create at least one backup of an local administrator account on your PC. It happens, people can forget passwords. My recommendation is to label and keep this backup in a secure location, maybe a lock box or filing cabinet. This isn’t difficult, just follow these instructions.
- Insert a flash drive into your PC.
- Go to the Start screen and type password (just start typing – it brings up the search command), choose Create a Password Reset Disk. If nothing happens, log off then back on and make it the first thing you do. Why this happens, I don’t know.
- When the wizard opens, click next.
- If needed select the drive where your flash drive is inserted from the list, click next.
- Enter current password, click next.
- Follow the wizard’s instructions. When finished writing the data, click next and finish.
The flash drive now holds a file called userkey.psw, which is the key to your account. This file can be copied to any device.
Did you find this information helpful? Consider sharing…
May I add you to our email list?
Get how to emails & other valuable content.